Compare Listings

First of all, you need to figure out what kind of accommodation you would like to stay in or best suits your circumstances.

According to USI’s National Student Housing Survey respondents, private rented accommodation is the most popular among students (27% of respondents ranked it as their first preference when asked where they would want to live).


This involves living with a host family.

  • You will be provided with bed, breakfast and evening meal.
  • This accommodation is generally Monday to Friday (inclusive) but will occasionally include weekends at an additional cost.
  • Digs and on-campus student accommodation are not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act.
  • It is recommended that both the Homeowner and Lodger agree on some basic ground rules in advance.
  • These ground rules should be put in writing and both parties should each sign and keep a copy of the agreement to avoid disputes as reference can be made to the agreement should there be a confusion or disagreement.

This website is an introductory service, matching students who need homes with people who need lodgers. Students can find digs-style accommodation here.

“The shortage of student accommodation across the country pushed us to launch a service that would offer students alternative accommodation to protect students from dropping out from college.” Annie Hoey, USI President, said. “USI is working with the Department of Education and Department of Housing on more long-term and sustainable solutions, but we needed an immediate solution to put student in beds.”


This involves sharing a house or apartment with other tenants.

  • A tenant has a legal entitlement to receive a rent book or a written lease setting out the terms of the tenancy and to receive confirmation of rent payments made.
  • Rent must be recorded either in the rent book or by receipt stating the amount, purpose and date of the payment and the period to which it relates.
  • If there is no written lease in place, a landlord is still obliged under the rent book regulations to provide to a tenant a rent book in respect of the tenancy.
  • The rent book should be updated with the details of each rental payment made.
  • The rent book should be kept in the possession of the tenant and only provided to the landlord when entries in respect of payments made are being updated in the rent book.


This involves usually purpose built accommodation which may be managed by the college and is usually on or near campus.

  • Please note that on- campus accommodation pertains to each university’s own rules and regulations and lies outside the remit of the Residential Tenancies Board.


Sometimes known as Section 50 accommodation, this involves sharing an apartment with other students that may be close to a college that is purpose built but not on campus.

homes for students is Stephen Fry proof thanks to caching by WP Super Cache